Wednesday 26 May 2010

Life

LIFE
It is an ephemeral life I lead
a sort of make believe
where the real things of life
barely exist at all
and where reality is a thin meandering of the mind

The sun is shining with unbounded vigour
on this day this Public Holiday
but I have work to do
which must be done
No holiday for me

I sit in my room and I can listen
to the birds singing through the open window
to the Roses Match being broadcast on the radio
and can recall the now past times
when I too joined the crowd
watching the cricket actually there
lazing in the sun
with nothing to do

These things were real enough then
Still they invade my room
But I have my work to do
and that alone is real
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Glasgow, 10th May 1967

Publication

1976 MEETINGS AT THE MOOR'S EDGE (West Kirkby, Headland)

No comments:

Post a Comment