Tuesday 8 February 2011

Greta Garbo on the Blackpool Bus

GRETA GARBO ON THE BLACKPOOL BUS

Elsie Williamson
met Greta Garbo on a Blackpool bus
going to visit a friend
in Poulton-le-Fylde.

"Ee luv, you do look like her;
I've seen all her films, you know;
I think I must be one of her biggest fans!"

"Have I many fans in Blackpool ?",
biting her lips at the utterance of "I".

"O hundreds, luv, and I reckon on
there must be at least a million
in the whole of Lancashire -
will you come to tea with me tomorrow?"

She scribbled her address
on the back of a brown envelope
that had had her gas-bill in;
"Must dash - this is my stop -
see you tomorrow".

George told her she was daft
but enjoyed the ham and ate the cake.

Two weeks later
a letter arrived
with two complimentary tickets
for the film premiere in London.

Elsie wondered
where she could find
the money for the train-fare.


© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed:  Gee Cross, 6th June 1990

Publications

1991 The Vincent Brothers Review (USA)
1992 STEALING KISSES (Hyde, New Hope International)
1994 Current Accounts (UK)
1997 Pickings (Internet)

No comments:

Post a Comment