Monday 14 February 2011

Amber Gambler

AMBER GAMBLER

I can't stop now
the whips are at my back
I can't stop now
the time's not there to rest and look
The dog is barking, the baby cries,
the postman is knocking at the door
I can't stop now
the milk is boiling over
Though butter clogs in my arteries
I'll keep on trying
to answer the phone
go seeking more
from those who want themselves to stop
If I don't stop soon
I'll spin through the hole
at the bottom of the whirlpool
or crash over the cliff
The wolves are chasing me
I can't stop now
Will I need a pension
or just a box?
How can I dream
if I never sleep?
The lights are on
perpetual amber
I am gonna stop
but not now

© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Oldham, 22nd March 1991

Publications

1996 PENNINE TRACKS (Heckmondwike, Fighting Cock Press)
1997 Dream Forge Poetry Lounge (Internet)
1998 LIMBO TIME (Hyde, New Hope International)
2006 Other Voices (Internet)
2007 MIND AND BODY (York, Fighting Cock Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment