Sunday 21 November 2010

Jodrell Bank Telescope


JODRELL BANK TELESCOPE

A white shadow shines through night cloud.
In the afternoon, distanced, a bowl
of quarried light hung against the horizon -
re-orientated in evening glimmer we
see it filled with gallon upon gallon
of water with fishes each clinging
to radios beamed on distant stars.
Night rain drowns sight under mist.
Morning brings a saucer of sunlicked milk
for the cat cowered by the dog-star.

© Gerald England

Composed: Swettenham, 20th March 1983

Publications

1989 Candelabrum (UK)
1995 Weyfarers (UK)
1998 THE RED CANDLE TREASURY (Wisbech, Red Candle Press)




1 comment:

  1. When I went to Jodrell Bank they made me, as guinea pig, stick my bare hand in a container of liquid nitrogen at minus 200°C in which a tennis ball had just disintegrated.
    I was allowed to remove my hand after a few seconds. And hey-ho it wasn't even broken. :)

    ReplyDelete