Monday 15 November 2010

Farmer Cornfield


FARMER CORNFIELD

Rounding Roseberry corner
driving his tractor like a TR7
making the landlord's Jaguar shudder
"It'll stop when we get to the top
of the Caradoc" he shouted
aiming over the steep fields
at the fifteen hundred foot hill
Over one of his pints in the "Plough"
he confessed to the fitting
of a super-charged gearbox
"You nearly gave the vicar
his fourth stroke" the landlord said
"Oh I've had more than that -
when I was at school -
but 'twas with a walking stick -
down here - " he says, "I reckon
that's what's made me what I am"

© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Hope Bowdler, 3rd September 1982

Publications

1992 Songs (UK)
1994 Boggers All (UK)
1996 PENNINE TRACKS (Heckmondwike, Fighting Cock Press)

1 comment:

  1. What a charming picture you paint. A bosom friend of my dad I believe :)

    ReplyDelete