Wednesday 4 August 2010

That Day

THAT DAY
Gillamoor looked great that day,
the done-heather brown over the hillside,
bare trees exposing the moor to view
Surprise View still surprises
by its continuing ability to do so
The low November sun sought out
the shades as numerous as the
lights of brown in your hair
That day I was not hurtling
down the motorway to meet you
I was cutting over the moors
to the North East's coast
It wasn't you I was meeting that day
but you'd have enjoyed the drive
and the subsequent lunch on the pier
by the sea

I did
© Gerald England

Composed: Sheffield, 11th November 1972

Publications

1974 Strath (UK)
1980 THE RAINBOW AND OTHER POEMS (Heckmondwyke, Fighting Cock Press)
1988 Iota
1990 Verve (USA)
2007 MIND AND BODY (York, Fighting Cock Press)

1 comment:

  1. I would have stopped off at a pub in Thirsk to have a few pints in James Herriot country.

    The Fred Effect

    ReplyDelete