Sunday 1 August 2010

At Halftime

AT HALFTIME
I guess I always knew it couldn't be true
I only said what I knew I must
Only what I knew in my heart
over which I had so little control

No one told any lies of consequence
We saw the problems as they came
Saw through them No need to speak
of demolition and a falling

I used you like you use Laurie
You used me like Laurie uses you
Not that Laurie came between us
It was just ourselves and you and I

You want my love but need it less
I need your love but want it less
You rebel to try to loose yourself
I rebel to try to find myself

Go hide yourself in the busy city streets
and leave me to the wild high moors
We'll meet again and not by accident
There still will be no need to speak.
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Sheffield, 14th August 1972

Publication

1972 FOR HER VOLUME ONE (Pontefract, Poet's Press of Osgoldcross)

No comments:

Post a Comment