Tuesday 3 August 2010

Fall

FALL
Six a.m.
The full early morning moon
lit my way to you
though the traffic was thick

Away the next morning
Four a.m.
The moon not yet risen
Beyond the city limits
the vehicles I shared
my twentyone miles of road with
numbered only seven
The last seven miles
I was completely alone
but for a cat that crossed my path
The leaves were fallen in the road
Brown windswirled leaves shone up in headlights,
crackled under tyres that trod on leafstrewn highways
The trees, shed now of clothes,
were naked in the dark,
exposed to the searching glare
of lights that shone
not with full intensity
through emotion-clouded glass,
yet clear enough to perceive
the new blossoming
that will occur come spring
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Ackworth, 1st October 1972

Publications

1973 ENVIRONMENT (Thames Ditton, Ember Press)
1974 Hyacinths & Biscuits (USA)
1994 Radio Void (USA)

1 comment:

  1. As soon as Tessa heard cicadas singing in late July, she began to look sad. She said, "It means fall is coming." She knows I love fall and winter, but we had a harsh one last year. Staying warm is difficult for her. I smiled and said, "It also means Christmas is coming. And then spring." Got a little smile out of her.

    The Fred Effect

    ReplyDelete