Sunday 20 June 2010

Flight of Love

FLIGHT OF LOVE
The car which is parked
outside my door
is large enough for the whole world
since it is large enough for two.
Under its bonnet is a wild engine
impatient as my passion,
spirited as your thoughts.
Command it, my love,
and I will carry you away -
not from one place to another -
but out of this world
The engine starts,
the car revs up;
heavenward through the clouds
we ride,
the wind whistling about us.
Do we sit still
while the whole world moves
or is it our daring flight?
Are you dizzy, my love?
Then hold on tight to me!
I shall not become dizzy.
Spiritually
one does not become dizzy
when one thinks only of a single thought
- I think only of you!
Physically
one does not become dizzy
if one fastens the eye on a single object.
- I look only at you!
Hold fast, my love!
Should the world pass away,
our car vanish beneath us,
we still hold each other close,
floating
in the harmony of the spheres
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Ackworth, 1st March 1970

Publications>

1972 THE WINE THE WOMEN AND THE SONG (Pyle, Kenfig Press)
1993 International Poetry (USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment