Thursday 10 June 2010

Christian Unity

CHRISTIAN UNITY

"And when he was departed thence he lighted on Jehonadab the son of Rechab coming to meet him and he saluted him and said to him, Is thine heart right as my heart is with thy heart? And Jehonadab answered, It is. If it be give me thy hand: and he took him into the Chariot" — 2 Kings 10, 15
Heart to heart
is soul to soul
Your opinion is thine own
my own -- mine own
I drink the wine and eat the bread,
You have a silent still communion
I may baptise my children,
You when they become adult
My worship may be odourless,
Your air filled with incense
These are secondary things
for if heart is to heart
soul is to soul
If you truly hold your opinions
then be true to them
and I will be true to mine
If your heart is with my heart
then love me,
not as you love your neighbour,
not as you love a stranger,
not as you love your enemies,
not with latitudinarianism
as Wesley put it,
but love me as a brother in Christ
heart to heart
soul to soul
© Gerald England

Composed: Ackworth, 1st March 1969

Publications

1976 MEETINGS AT THE MOOR'S EDGE (West Kirkby, Headland)
1990 Outreach (UK)
2000 The Poetry Church (UK)

No comments:

Post a Comment