Saturday 2 October 2010

Unexpected Return To The Bay

UNEXPECTED RETURN TO THE BAYI took you there before your time came
Already it was too late
You wrote of the life of it
and almost proved it true
But you got its name wrong
If it were only a name
my feet would be dry
I went today driven by forces
that took me angrily out of the house
I was halfway there before I knew
where it was I was going
I did not know it was so near
The sun was on its setting
The tide was on its turning
The sand I stood on was dry
As I turned to leave
the sea rushed forward
drowning my feet
Though I cannot ever escape from you
being in the sea and there remaining
I have found my dry land
and there have built my home
© Gerald England

Composed: Flamborough Head, 8th June 1978

Publication

2002 Poetry Chain (India)

No comments:

Post a Comment