Friday 24 September 2010

Encounter

ENCOUNTER
He saw the sand - turned
looked at me for assurance
I nodded - following with my two feet
Encouraged he bounded off
Straightway - a fluttering of wings
and a squawking of beaks
from seagulls chased
but dogs can't fly

Then he found the sea
He ran at it
but a wave barked back at him
He retreated
Cautious steps forward
another leaping return
then temper flared
and like a New-Year-Ice-Breaker
he dived over the waves
landed splashfull in a skinsoak of sandsaltsea

I too attempted retreat
from watershedding shakes
As I sat watching the tide retreat
and estuary mist give way
to green sights of opposite land
he groomed himself almost dry

We resumed contact and left
© GERALD ENGLAND

Composed: Exmouth, 7th June 1977

Publication

2000 Skald

No comments:

Post a Comment